1 year ago today, we finished our efforts of reverse engineering the parallax effect for tvOS. Not only did we manage to create a near pixel perfect rendition of the parallax effect programmatically, but we also successfully reverse engineered the LCR file format as well. And today we are excited to officially open source the project.
I was fortunate enough to attend WWDC 2016 this year having scored a lucky golden ticket. The week was mostly a blur, but I still had a blast and met a lot of really freaking cool people. Since I know first hand how hard it was to keep track of all the shiny new things Apple announced, I figured it would be worthwhile to point out some new technical features that you may have already forgotten about or not heard at all.
The functional reactive programming trend is at an all time high. With the advances of Swift, ReactiveCocoa recently shipped version 4.0 and RxSwift turned 1 year old a few days ago. Back in the days of
old Objective-C, I gave Reactive Cocoa a shot, but I ultimately gave up.¹
Since then, I’ve reclaimed my lost courage and have tackled both ReactiveCocoa and RxSwift head on. I’m currently sticking with RxSwift for now, with the main advantage being that Rx is a cross language API. This makes it helpful when doing cross functional pairing between Android and iOS development.
In any case, my coworker and I wrote a blog post on our company website detailing the architectural pattern we use to develop apps in a reactive manner. Here’s a link to the post http://blog.asynchrony.com/2016/02/model-view-binding-swift/ or continue reading for the full article.²
This post is in response to the iOhYes podcast #98 We Heard You Like Rants
Apple’s Best Practices
When Apple publishes sample code, they have to cater to their audience. They can’t expect to publish sample code that only 1% of readers can immediately take it and roll with it. Intead they employ a common publishing tactic known as lowering literacy to minister to a broader audience. In this manner, Apple’s sample code won’t be glistening with SOLID design or highly composable elements but instead will be a popular, actionable source for most developers.
The following is a synopsis of a crash that stumped my team for several days, and the process we took to investigate such bizarre behavior and ultimately diagnose and fix the problem. I’ll go over how we arrived at our solution and the debugging steps we took to get there. Hopefully by the end of the story you’ll have learned something along the way.